Friday, April 8, 2011

”If you wish to make an impact for one year, plant corn; if you wish to make an impact for a generation, plant a tree; if you wish to make an impact for eternity, educate a child.” anon

Tarrying by the Stuff (from 1 Samuel 30:24) by Lois Wilder Cowles

The "Stuff needs tarrying by" tonight,
Oh Father, give me grace,
To tenderly, compassionately,
Wash each tired little face.
And just before they're tucked in bed,
To teach them Lord of Thee...
Remembering that it won't be long,
I have them 'round my knee.
There's clothes to fold, the floor to sweep,
And dishes to be done...
And in between to rock and soothe
My feverish little one.
Within my heart I long to be
Down where the anthems roll,
And hear the front-line soldier fight,
For each lost, Hell-bound soul.
I'll tarry by the stuff, Dear Lord,
For very love of Thee,
And hear the anthems, share the spoil
Thru all eternity.
These training days will soon be o'er,
And then with sharp salutes...
They'll all report for duty, Lord,
My young, strong, trained, recruits

I read the first quote on a blog I like to read: www.itakejoy.com
The poem was sent to me by a dear friend and colleague. I love both. They cover everything- from education to wiping noses. It is SO easy to overlook motherhood as a background part of life / not a "real job". Even I sometimes get caught up in the idea that what I am doing isn't "real work" or even real work for the kingdom. That is a great lie! I have these precious souls, entrusted especially to Chris and me, for such a short season. This is the season of my life where these little people, who are growing quickly into big people, need my energy and investment most. I have sadly struggled with seeing that as less important at times, feeling like I should be "doing more".

One day, as I was praying about what God expects of me, Titus 2 came to mind. "3Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good,4so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. " So that His word is not dishonored. I honor HIM and His word when I love my family, I actually keep His word from being dishonored. Wow, I love that.

I also considered Psalm 127
3 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their opponents in court.

And the quote from a letter Jim Elliot wrote to his mother as he prepared to leave:
"And what is a quiver full of but arrows? And what are arrows for but to shoot? So with the strong arm of prayer, draw the bowstring back and let the arrows fly – all of them straight at the Enemy’s hosts."

One day my children will fly and it is my job to love them well with the love God has given me.


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Thank you for this! It was perfect for me. :)

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing what is encouraging you. it has encouraged me too!
Misti